Good Shepherd Baptist Petersburg, VA
Founded in 1936, Good Shepherd Baptist Church relocated in 2006 to a large building that formerly housed a major retailer and an adjacent grocery store. The retail building was renovated immediately to house an 1800 seat sanctuary, large social hall, 300 seat theater and administrative offices and classrooms. In early 2010, the church retained Barnes Design Group to transform the unused former grocery into an upscale community and conference center venue, as well as perform a face-lift on the entire exterior.
Approximately 2/3 of the former grocery structure will be razed to accommodate a new 40 foot high clear span multi-purpose space that may be alternately configured to accommodate dual regulation basketball courts with more than 700 bleacher seats, banquet dining for up to 800 guests, or a theatrically-focused speaker or concert event seating 1500 persons.